[Met_help] Request for Assistance

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Apr 22 08:57:44 MDT 2010

John,

Sure, we'd be happy to help you figure this out.  Would you be able to
send me some sample ASCII MADIS data, a sample forecast file, and the
Point-Stat configuration file you're using?

I'll try running ASCII2NC and Point-Stat here and figure out what's going on.

You could post this sample data to our ftp site as follows:
ftp ftp.rap.ucar.edu
username=anonymous
password="your email address"
cd incoming/irap/met_help/raby_data
put "your data files"
bye

Please let me know when the data is available, and I'll go take a look.

We are attempting to use both PrepBUFR and MADIS observational data in MET
Point_Stat to evaluate WRF performance over Utah for 2 domains, one nested
inside the other.

We process the PrepBUFR data for a 24 hour period (06Z to 06Z) We explicitly
retain only the message strings "ADPUPA" and "ANYAIR" using the PB2NC
configuration file settings in order to collect upper air data (raobs,
aircraft, acars, etc). After running PB2NC, we typically find only 7 hourly
files (12Z, 15Z, 17Z, 19Z, 20Z, 00Z and 01Z) out of 25 possible which
contain data (presumably because the upper air data is not present for every
hour).  These 7 include the 00Z and 12Z raob data for 2 upper air stations
inside the larger of our domains (KSLC and KLKN).

We process the MADIS data to retain only surface mesonet and metar data in
25 hourly text files (Point observation format), then run ASCII2NC to
convert the files to netcdf.

We ran Point-Stat with the PrepBUFR upper air data files specified in the
required argument for the "obs_file" with the MADIS (surface data) specified
as additional NETCDF point observation files using the "-ncfile" argument.

The Point-Stat output contains results for only the hours 12Z, 15Z, 17Z,
19Z, 20Z, 00Z and 01Z.

We then tried running Point-Stat with the MADIS data specified in the
required argument and the PrepBUFR data specified as the optional
(additional observation file) argument, but this gave identical results.

We expect results for all 25 hourly periods since we know that there are
MADIS surface observations for every hour.

Can you assist us in resolving this problem?

Thanks.

R/
John

Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist