[Met_help] Question about MET (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 9 13:40:55 MDT 2010

John,

That's correct.  PB2NC enables you to filter the observations in various ways: message type, station id, time range, geographical area, elevation, report type, observation type, and quality mark
value.  However, ASCII2NC doesn't do any of that filtering.  We assume that when a user constructs an observation file themselves in ASCII format, they've only retained the observations they'd
actually like to use in their verification.

However, let me point out that when you use the output of ASCII2NC in Point-Stat, you are able to specify which variables/levels you'd like to verify, which observation message types to use, over what
geographic areas to compute statistics, and what matching time window around the forecast's valid time to use.

We added these filtering options to PB2NC mainly for those people using PrepBufr files containing global or CONUS observations, but verifying over a much smaller domain.  By filtering many
observations out in PB2NC, we enable Point-Stat to run much faster rather than it would if it had to read the entire global observation data set.

If you need to do additional filtering of your ASCII observations before using them in the verification, you may be able to do so by writing some simple scripts to filter out the subset of
observations you'd actually like to use.