[Met_help] Point-Stat output issue

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Sep 29 16:13:34 MDT 2009

Ann,

OK, I see what's going on.  I was able to make a couple of changes and got
329 matched pairs for your 10 hour forecast.  I changed all references of
"QKSWND" to "ADPSFC" - so that's in the ASCII point files and in the
PointStatConfig file.

Here's the rationale.  MET considers 2-meter temp and 10-meter winds to be
"surface" variables.  However, the only way MET matches point observations
to surface variables is by the message type - we don't use the elevation
or vertical level.  And the only 2 message types which are considered to
be surface messages are ADPSFC and SFCSHP.  So MET will only match
observations of one of those two types to surface variables - like
10-meter winds.

Now this may be innaccurate on our part.  As a software engineer, I'm
really not familiar with all of the different observation types.  Perhaps,
QKSWND should be considered a surface observation type as well.  Is that
the case?

But at least we know what's going on.  Changing "QKSWND" to "ADPSFC"
should do the trick.  Just let us know if more questions come up.