[Met_help] QuikScat verification

Ann L Mazuk Ann.L.Mazuk at aero.org
Mon Sep 28 16:41:16 MDT 2009

I wanted to do a quick sanity check.  I would like to compute 10m wind
speed and 10m wind direction (if possible to do wind direction) WRF
verification using QuikScat winds.  I'm converting some QuikScat wind data
into ascii format using ascii2nc.  I'm using the following to set up the
ascii files:

Message_Type = QKSWND
Elevation = -9999
Grib_Code = 31 for wind speed, 32 for wind direction (although it looks
like I can't verify wind direction with point_stat)
Level = -9999
Height = -9999 (per your email response to someone else for surface data)

Is this the correct set up?  Like I said, I'm just doing a sanity check on
my end.  The first time I ran MET with above configuation, it came back
and said there are no obs that it could use, but it is possible that is
just because of the masking or my obs aren't in my WRF domain (but I
thought they were).

Thanks.

Ann