[Met_help] ftp gdas data

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 28 10:09:35 MDT 2009

Ming,

It sounds like you're looking for GDAS PrepBufr data.  You can access it via:
http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gdas/

Is this the website you were already looking at?  This is a web interface for the NOMADS data server.  If you want to access this data from a script, I'd suggest using the time information to build a
string describing the file you want.  For example, the GDAS PrepBufr file for 00Z on 20090115 would be:
http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gdas/200901/20090115/gdas1.t00z.prepbufr.nr

Then, use the "wget" command to retrieve that file from the web.  For example, the following should work:
wget http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gdas/200901/20090115/gdas1.t00z.prepbufr.nr

Hopefully, that'll do the trick for you.  I don't know of any public access for this data.