[Met_help] MET MODE Analysis - No Centroid X and Y Data

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 16 08:10:20 MDT 2009

Robert,

It sounds like you're interested not just in the distance between the centroids of objects, but how that distance is broken down into it's x and y components.  That's a very reasonable question to
ask.  Unfortunately though, the MODE-Analysis tool won't give you the answer directly.  Here's what's going on...

The "centroid_dist" column contains the distance between the centroids of a pair of objects.  So it only applies to "pair" lines in the MODE output.
The "centroid_x" and "centroid_y" columns contain the centroid (x, y) for a single object. So it only applies to "single" lines in the MODE output.

In your MODE-Analysis command line, you used "-simple -pair" to select out only the MODE lines for pairs of simple objects.  Since the "centroid_x" and "centroid_y" columns don't apply to "pair"
lines, there's no data to summarize.  It'd probably be better if were to dump out "NA" instead of "0" in the summary when the column doesn't apply.

It still is possible to extract the information you want from the MODE output files, but you'll have to do a little more work to get it.  For each simple pair line in the MODE output, you could look
at the "object_id" column to extract out the simple forecast and simple observation that make up this pair.  Then you could find the simple single line for the forecast object and the one for the
observed object and extract their "centroid_x" and "centroid_y" values... and then take the difference.

I've done this sort of thing in the past using an R script.  If you happen to have R installed on your machine, I could probably put together a script for you to get at this info.  Would that work for
you?

John