[Met_help] NAM and GFS question

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 2 09:27:21 MDT 2009

Holly,

I really have not worked with verifying TMIN and TMAX in the past.  What you're planning on doing sounds reasonable, but in talking to a scientist here about it, she made a good point.  If you're only
using 3-hourly GFS and NAM data, the min/max temperature values may actually occur somewhere inbetween those 3-hr time intervals.  So taking the min/max by looking at the instantaneous temperature
every 3 hours would only give you a pretty rough estimate of the actual min/max values.

There isn't currently a tool in MET to do this sort of thing.  However, if I were in your shoes, I'd modify the PCP-Combine tool to do this for you.  I'd suggest running the PCP-Combine tool in the
"-sum" mode.  By supplying the "-gc 11" argument, it can be run over temperature fields.  If you were to do that, the values you'd get out would be the sum of the temperatures over those 8 files.  But
it wouldn't be too hard to modify the code to take the "min" or "max" instead of summing it up.

Hope that helps and good luck.

John