[Met_help] MM5 GRIB1 format

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed May 27 08:34:30 MDT 2009

C.V. Srinivas,

I'm not exactly sure what your question is.  Are you asking:

(1) What observation data set should you use for verifying precipitation over India?
(2) Which statistics created by the Point-Stat tool should you be looking at when verifying precipitation?

I don't really have an answer for the first question.  I'm not familiar with the Indian rain gauge network.  But I'd recommend doing what it sounds like you're already doing:
- Obtain rainfall point observations for your domain in some ASCII format from a local source.
- Use the ASCII2NC tool to convert to NetCDF for use in MET.
- Run your observations through the Point-Stat tool.

MET does not use any of the observations of precipitation within PREPBUFR files.  It only extracts pressure, specific humidity, temperature, height, and u/v components of wind from PREPBUFR files.

As for the second question, I'd like to refer you to the statistician who's leading the MET development, Tressa Fowler.  She could provide advice on interpreting the statistical output of Point-Stat.
 I've copied her on this message.