[Met_help] Verification for the HWT

Tressa Fowler tressa at ucar.edu
Fri May 8 16:25:31 MDT 2009

Ken,

This is great news. All of our neatest methods are for grid to grid
comparison.

We have a software package called MET (designed for verifying WRF)
that can implement a lot of methods for you. It can be used on other
gridded forecasts if they are in either grib1 or netCDF format. The
software, tutorial, and documentation are available at: http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users

We have a MET tutorial this July in Boulder if you want to send
someone to learn how to use it. There is also an online tutorial
linked to the page above. http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/events/tutorial_709/index.php

In this package, we have several spatial verification methods and some
basic probabilistic verification.

How do you verify PoP? In MET, we produce some information about
reliability that can be used to calibrate probability forecasts.

For your QPF, you might want to start with our simpler spatial
approach and then try out the object and wavelet based verification.
The neighborhood methods in our grid verification tool (grid_stat) are
pretty easy to implement and understand. Basically, you smooth the
forecasts and obs over some area, then figure the usual statistics
plus a few neighborhood specific skill scores.

If you want to get more complicated, you can use MODE (a component of
MET), to create and match up objects. We have lots examples of this
(see papers by Chris Davis), but it is a bit computer intensive so not
easy to implement for real time use. (Though it can be done.) It is
really fabulous for case studies or post-analysis.

We also have a wavelet decomposition tool in MET that can help you
find the spatial scales of your errors.

I am happy to give advice and answer questions if you think you would
like to try any of these things.

Maybe after you look this over, you could decide where you would like
to start and I can offer more detailed advice or recommendations.

Tressa