[Met_help] Error compiling METv1.1 - > pb2nc application

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Mar 26 08:04:48 MDT 2009

Luis,

First let me tell you that we're planning to release the next version of MET, METv2.0, during the first week of April.  We'll send you an email when it's available.  I'd suggest switching to that
version.  But whatever changes you need to make to get METv1.1 to compile will also apply to METv2.0.

We have PGI versions 6.1-5 and 7.1-5 here with which I've built MET.  Sounds like you're version of 6.2-5 fall right in the middle there.

The errors you're seeing is that the linker can't find the definitions for some of the subroutines used in BUFRLIB.  I hunted around for those undefined references to "wrdlen_" and "irev_" and found
that they're supposed to be defined within BUFRLIB itself.  So my guess is that there was some problem with the way BUFRLIB was built.

Please do the following:
(1) Go to the directory that contains your BUFRLIB code -> cd /home/luis/modelos/BUFRLIB
(2) Clean it out -> rm *.a *.o
(3) Start a script to capture what's printed to the screen -> script build_bufrlib
(4) Rebuild BUFRLIB with the following 3 commands (use pgcc for the C-compiler, NOT pbCC for the C++ compiler):
      pgcc -c -DUNDERSCORE *.c
      pgf77 -c -DUNDERSCORE -Mnosecond_underscore *.f
      ar crv libbufr.a *.o
(5) End the script by typing conrtol-D.

Then try recompiling MET to see if PB2NC compiles now.  If you're still having troubles, please send me the script file "build_bufrlib" that you generated.

Thanks and good luck.

John Halley Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu