[Met_help] need help running PointStat with netcdf obs from ascii input (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sauter, Barbara (Civ, ARL/CISD) bsauter at arl.army.mil
Wed Mar 25 10:07:19 MDT 2009

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

 <<sample_0322_06.nc>>  <<sample_nomsg.prn>>  <<sample_0322_06.prn>>
<<sample_nomsg.nc>>

Hello,
     I ran ascii2nc on sample_0322_06.prn and it created
sample_0322_06.nc, which appears fine.  Then when I tried to run
PointStat using this .nc file, I got an error message

ERROR: process_obs_file() -> when computing vector winds, each UGRD
observation must be followed by a VGRD observation with the same header
and at the same level

I thought the -999 for level values in my original file might be causing
the problem, so I deleted those rows.  Again, ascii2nc on
sample_nomsg.prn successfully created sample_nomsg.nc, but I got the
exact same error message when attempting to run PointStat.

1.  I presume my ascii file may have more than one space between data
columns, is that correct?
2.  Is it ok to use -999 for missing data?
3.  Any idea what my problem is with running PointStat using the
attached observation files?

Thank you,
Barb

Barb Sauter