[Met_help] strange black background for MODE .ps files

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Mar 20 15:05:45 MDT 2009

Shelley,

Thanks for sending the postscript files.  I took a look at them, and I
don't see a problem there.  I believe you just have a lot of data in there
that's around 0 - which is a very dark green in the default color table.

I'd suggest changing the color table used to generate the plots to be one
that you like better.  Try editing your MODE config files as follows:
- In the settings for "fcst_raw_color_table" and "obs_raw_color_table",
change "mode_raw.ctable" to "wrf_precip2.ctable".
- Set "fcst_raw_plot_min" and "obs_raw_plot_min" to 0.0.
- Set "fcst_raw_plot_max" and "obs_raw_plot_max" to a reasonably large
value.  Any values greater than this max will be plotted using the color
for the maximum value.

You're welcome to try some of the other colortables or create your own if
you like.  I'm suggesting that you set the plot min and max values so that
the colorscale is always fixed.  That way when you compare plots from
different models or times the colors in the plots will correspond to the
same values.  Otherwise, the raw colortable is scaled to the actual
min/max values in the field.

In the upcoming release of MET (in early April), I'll change the default
MODE config files to use the "wrf_precip2.ctable" colortable for
precipitation.

As for the output file names from MODE, it sounds like you'd like to
include the "MODEL" name in the output file names.  Would that solve your
issues?  That change would require changing the source code and
recompiling, but I think it's a good idea.  I'll talk to the others in our
development team and see if they'd like to make that change.

Perhaps it'd be even better to allow the user to specify a file prefix
name in the MODE config file.  Currently, that would just be "mode_", but
then the user could change it to "mode_${MODEL}".  How does that sound to
you?