[Met_help] redux: problems with point_stat

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Mar 12 14:40:24 MDT 2009

Ed,

I put my responses inline.

John

Ed Tollerud wrote:
> John,
>
> Here are a couple of comments and a mystery for you to consider.
>
> 1) Re: our correspondence below, after some trial-and-error, we found
> out that it does matter in point_stat what choice is made for 'message
> type'; it needs to be one of the NCEP possibility choices in the
> configuration file. MC_PCP doesn't work. After then trying 'ANYSFC',
> which also did not work, we settled on 'ADPSFC', which seems to have
> gotten us through.

Sorry I didn't give better guidance on this before.  Glad you were able to get something to work.

> 2) When running point_stat with high verbosity, some of the diagnostic
> variables that are displayed appear to be incorrect. In particular, in
> our runs with a domain in the western US, the longitude is given as an
> incorrect positive value (i.e., in the eastern hemisphere). However, in
> the actual computations of point-stat the correct longitudes appear to
> have been used.

I understand why this looks troubling.  The internal MET library which handles the grid definition (vx_data_grids) expects longitude to be in degrees west - as opposed to the degrees east that most
other people use.  For MET, all longitude values that we read in or write out are in degrees east.  After reading it in, we switch from degrees east to west.  And before writing it out, we switch it
back.  So that's what you're seeing.  As long as your grids aren't showing up on the opposite side of the world, we're handling it correctly.

> 3) For the same western U.S. domain, we have found that one projection
> (the lat-lon) fails in pcp_combine. In particular, it appears to grab
> onto the upper-left domain corner and assume it is the lower-left, thus
> giving a domain that is far north of the desired one (and hence gave no
> matches with our verification data). Also, when we examined via ncview
> the actual output from pcp_combine, the actual precipitation values seem
> to be partially garbled; a latitudinal (N-S) strip from the western half
> of our domain seems to have been placed on the east side of the domain
> instead. This issue appeared with both NMM and ARW runs, but not for
> fields translated by WPP onto a Lambert projection, and it showed up for
> MET installed in several places (all LINUX). It appears that it might be
> a MET coding glitsch, but it is difficult for us to decipher the actual
> C code and it is hard to believe that this issue hasn't appeared for
> someone else and have been posted on the MET website. So the possibility
> that it is still some kind of hardware effect of our installation or our
> use is still there though we have eliminated all the local FAB/wJET
> possibilities that we can think of.

I think there are 2 likely culprits here.  First, it could be a bug in the MET code.  Second, and I think more likely, there may be an error in how the GRIB data is packed.  In particular, there's a
flag in the Grid Description Section of a GRIB record called the "scanning mode flag".  It tells you the order in which the data is packed in the record: left->right vs right->left and up->down vs
down->up.  If this is set incorrectly, you'd see the type of behavior you're seeing.  And I have helped another user with a similar issue with the scanning mode flag.

Here's a page that describes this:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table8.html

It'd probably be easiest for you to send me a sample GRIB data file.  I'll take a look to see how the GRIB flags are set.

If they are incorrect, you could either try to repair the GRIB files by modifying the flags.  Or I could help you make a change to code and "hard-code" what the value of scanning mode flag should be.
 I think that's what I did for the last user with this similar issue.

Just let me know.

John