[Met_help] ASCII Data for MET

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Jun 30 09:57:11 MDT 2009

Thomas,

Yeah, that abort message from BUFRLIB is what I expected.  BUFRLIB just isn't 64-bit compatible.  You're right that blocking/unblocking is an issue... but that still won't fix the problem.  To my
knowledge, BUFRLIB just won't work with a 64-bit compiler.

In METv2.0, we've moved the blocking step into the PB2NC tool.  And the way the blocking is performed is controlled by a compile time flag.  In the top-level MET Makefile, the "ARCH_FLAGS" line has
the "-DBLOCK4" flag commented out for GNU compilers.  You could try uncommenting that and recompiling MET, being sure to do a "make clean" first.  And then you could try rerunning that "test_pb2nc.sh"
script.  But I'm not hopeful.  I'm guessing you'll still get that abort message from BUFRLIB.

Unfortunately, we haven't made any progress on support for the ECMWF BUFR data to date.  However, I'll forward your message to the group that decides our priorities for upcoming releases to let them
know you were asking about it.

Lastly, I agree with you.  If you're dealing with ~2000 observations/day, I think it'd be better to sort them by day.  Otherwise, if they were all in one file for a month, Point-Stat would have to
sift through 60,000 observations each time you run it... which could slow it down.

Good luck,
John