[Met_help] PB2NC config file

Ruifang Li lir at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 15 11:26:35 MDT 2009

John
I use MET2.0. I used attached file and rebuild MET. Point_stat works well
with U,V,WIND now.

I looked at FUTURE WORK: ADD SUPPORT FOR THE MERCATOR PROJECTION" in METv2.0
and did not find it anywhere. I guess I was totally overflowed yesterday
night and went to METv1.0 to find it. Sorry for this to make you confused.

Thanks again for your helpful support,
Ruifang

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 7:20 AM, John Halley Gotway <johnhg at rap.ucar.edu>wrote:

> Ruifang,
>
> It was in METv2.0 that we added support for Mercator projections into MET.
>  And it looks like we missed a change we needed to make in one spot that's
> casing the error message you're seeing.  I'm
> surprised we hadn't heard about this yet, but I don't think that the
> Mercator projection is used very frequently.
>
> This bug has an easy fix, just adding a few lines to one file.  I'm
> wondering though, what version of MET are you running?  That comment "FUTURE
> WORK: ADD SUPPORT FOR THE MERCATOR PROJECTION"
> shouldn't exist anywhere in the METv2.0 source code.  It was in METv1.1.
>
> In order to use Mercator projection, you'll need to use METv2.0.  And to
> fix this bug, you'll need to replace the file
> "METv2.0/lib/vx_met_util/read_grid.cc" with the version that's attached.  So
> please try updating that file, rebuilding MET, and rerunning.  And please
> let me know if that fixes your problem.  If so, I'll post that fix to the
> MET website.
>
> Thanks for finding this issue.

> Ruifang Li wrote:
> > John,
> > I get this error when I run point_stat tool:
> >
> > *** Running POINT_STAT on WRF OUTPUT ***
> > ***          UGRD                ***
> > GSL_RNG_TYPE=mt19937
> > GSL_RNG_SEED=1666342218
> > Forecast File:
> >
> /ptmp/lir/test/data/2009_t8_15km/verify_met2.0/gsi/wpp/2007081512/postprd/wrfprs_d01.000
> > Climatology File: none
> > Configuration File: ./config/PointStatConfig.UGRD
> > Observation File:
> > /ptmp/lir/test/data/2009_t8_15km/verify_met2.0/ob_nc/2007081512/ob.nc

> > Reading records for UGRD/P1000.
> > For UGRD/P1000 found 1 forecast levels and 0 climatology levels.
> >

> > ERROR: is_grid_relative() -> Unsupported grid type value: ^A
> >

> > But point_stat works well with TMP. I looked at code read_grib.cc and
> found
> > out
> >
> > // FUTURE WORK: ADD SUPPORT FOR THE MERCATOR PROJECTION
> >
> >    //
> >    // Mercator Projection Grid
> >    //
> >
> > else if(r.gds->type == 1) {
> >
> >       cerr << "\n\nERROR: read_gds() -> "
> >            << "Mercator grid type " << (int) r.gds->type
> >            << " not currently supported.\n\n"
> >            << flush;
> >       exit(1);
> >    }
> >
> > My wrf forecast use Mercator projection, It looks like that I can not do
> U,
> > V, WIND using MET2.0, right?
> > Are there other ways that I can try?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ruifang
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM, John Halley Gotway <
> johnhg at rap.ucar.edu>wrote:
> >
> >> Ruifang,
> >>
> >> Sorry about that, I forgot the attachment.  It's attached now.
> >>
> >> You're right that you could use a polyline to define the masking region
> for
> [...]

Ruifang

Mesoscale & Microscale Meteorology Division
Phone: 303-497-8938
Office:  FL3-3085
Email:  lir at ucar.edu