[Met_help] adding a new data source

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Jul 14 14:29:15 MDT 2009

Joe,

I took a look at the sample file you sent, but I'm pretty confused about
the data.

In the header for that file, it seems to indicate that the wind speeds are
measured in a particular direction.  For example, the wind speeds at 30m,
50m, and 60m are relative to 270 degrees.  At 59m, wind speeds are
relative to 240 degrees.  And at 2m and 3m, they're relative to 360
degrees.  Am I understanding that correctly?

When verifying wind speed, MET currently looks in the forecast file for a
wind speed record.  If one exists, it uses it.  If not, it grabs U and V,
rotates from grid-relative to earth-relative, if necessary, and computes
the wind speed field from U and V.  But are we able to compare these wind
speeds to the observations that are defined "relative" to a particular
direction?

Do you see a problem here?

For the vertical levels relative to 360, do you actually want to be
comparing to the V-component of wind?  And for those relative to 270, do
you want to be comparing to the U-component?

And just to clarify...
Are the "Anemometer" speeds in m/s?
Are the "Wind Vane" values directions where 0 degrees = north?
What is a "Pyranometer" and what do the values mean?

And do you want to just use the "avg" value as the observation or would
you prefer to take into account the other measures like min, max, std, and
dq?