[Met_help] Differences in point_stat output v2 vs. v1.1

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:28:22 MST 2009

Jonathan,

Good luck.  Hope it goes well.

While you're welcome to use the tools however you like, let me offer a
word of advice.  The MPR line type was never really intended to be used on
a large scale basis.  It's a pretty inefficient way of storing individual
matched pair data.  So dumping the matched pairs from each run and then
aggregating them afterwards with the STAT-Analysis tool will take up a lot
of storage space!  We intended it more as a diagnostic tool to be used on
a case by case basis.

Rather than dumping the MPR lines for each case, you could consider just
dumping the scalar partial sums (SL1L2 lines) and aggregating those.
While it's true that there are some statistics that can't be computed
after the fact for SL1L2 lines, a lot of them can.  And it'd take a lot
less storage space and probably run quicker - since it wouldn't have to
spend time writing and reading all those MPR lines.

Just an idea.