[Met_help] pb2nc in v2 beta

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Feb 17 14:45:09 MST 2009

Jonathan,

I'm actually glad to hear that you're seeing this error from PB2NC.

In order to remove the "cwordsh" step, we incorporated the
fortran-blocking step into the PB2NC tool itself.  However, the number of
bytes that need to be blocked is machine/compiler dependent - either 4 or
8.  To handle this, we've added a compile-time flag to control how many
bytes to block.

In the PGI Makefile, the default is to use 4-byte blocking, thus the
"-DBLOCK4" flag is set in the "ARCH_FLAGS" line of the top-level Makefile.
 Please try commenting out that flag in your Makefile, rebuilding, and
running PB2NC.  This will tell MET to use 8-byte blocking instead.
Hopefully, you won't see that error from PB2NC anymore.

This will all be added to the build instructions in the METv2.0 user's guide.

We tried to make it so that PB2NC could handle either blocked or unblocked
files.  So please let me know if both of them work for you or not.