[Met_help] Compilation problem with MET Ver 1.1

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Feb 2 10:40:18 MST 2009

Jairam,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

It looks as though you're having issues linking to the NetCDF libraries.  It may be possible that the NetCDF library in /usr/local/netcdf was built with a different set of compilers, perhaps the GNU
compilers.  You need to link to a version of NetCDF that's been built with the same compilers that you're using the build MET - PGI version 7.1.

Please try the following:
- ls /usr/local/netcdf/lib/libnetcdf.a /usr/local/netcdf/lib/libnetcdf_c++.a

Those are the two library files that MET is looking for.  If they do not exist, you'll need to rebuild NetCDF to get them.  If they do exist, I'm guessing that they weren't build with the PGI compilers.

So I'd suggest rebuilding NetCDF using the PGI compilers.  Download version 3.6.2 of the NetCDF library:
- tar -xvzf netcdf-3.6.2.tar
- cd netcdf-3.6.2
- setenv CC /opt/pgi/linux86/7.1/bin/pgcc
- setenv CXX /opt/pgi/linux86/7.1/bin/pgCC
- setenv FC ""
- setenv F77 ""
- setenv F90 ""
- ./configure
- make
- make install

This will build the C and C++ interfaces to NetCDF using the PGI compilers.  And it will NOT build the Fortran interfaces - which MET doesn't use.

Once you've rebuilt NetCDF with PGI, try rebuilding MET.

johnhg at ucar.edu