[Met_help] help with copygb

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Dec 22 14:11:34 MST 2009

Hello Jeff,

You basically need to figure out what command line options to pass to
copygb to tell it how to regrid the data.  Hopefully, you have the "wgrib"
utility available on your system.

If not, it can be downloaded and built from here:
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib.html

Try running this command on your WRFPRS file:
wgrib -V WRFPRS_d02.012_00

That will dump out, among other things, the definition of the grid on
which your WRF data resides.  Next, you'll need to take those values and
translate them into the correct arguments to copygb.

The arguments will differ somewhat depending on the type of projection
used for the WRFPRS data.  But it'll probably be on either a lat/lon,
polar stereographic, or lambert conformal grid.  Please look at slides 26,
27, and 28 of the WPP tutorial talk for examples of specifying these 3
types of grids:
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/200907/Basic/2009jul_wpp_joint_tutorial.pdf

One thing that's a little funny is that latitude and longitude are passed
into copygb as thousandths of a degree.  That keeps everything as integers
on the command line.  So, once you've figured out your copygb arguments,
you'd call copygb with something like this:

copygb -xg'255 0 201 201 25000 270000 128 45000 290000 100 100 64'
ST4.2008071918_01h ST4.2008071918_01h_wrf.grib

That'll use all of the default interpolation options and regrid to the
grid defined by that string beginning with 255.  Once you've done this,
double-check your work by running the copygb output through wgrib:
wgrib -V ST4.2008071918_01h_wrf.grib

And make sure the grid definition matches exactly the one from your WRFPRS
file.

If you get stuck, just send me the output of "wgrib -V WRFPRS_d02.012_00"
and I can tell you what copygb arguments you should use.