[Met_help] Problem running Grid Stat

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 14 08:12:44 MST 2009

Stefan,

Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck.  MET currently supports the following 4 projection types: Lambert Conformal, Polar Stereographic, Plate Carree (lat/lon), and Mercator.  That covers the vast
majority of the data we encounter.  I'll pass along  your email to the person who's implemented our grid code to let him know about the orthographic projection you're using.

Also, I wanted to give you some background about the Point-Stat and Grid-Stat tools.  These two tool are very similar - they compute many of the same types of statistics.  The difference is in the
type of observations they handle.  Point-Stat compares a gridded forecast to point observations.  When doing so, it performs horizontal and vertical interpolation in computing matched pairs.
Grid-Stat, on the other hand, compare a gridded forecast to a gridded observation ON THE SAME GRID.  We do not perform interpolation in Grid-Stat since we require to the data to be on the same grid.
And it's the user's responsibility to put the data on the same grid - which is pretty easy when using GRIB data.

Hope that helps,
John Halley Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu