[Met_help] Problem running Grid Stat

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 11 12:44:43 MST 2009

Stefan,

I need to tell you about 3 things:

First, to answer your question about projections.  You're using an "equidistant" projection, which we assume mean "cylindrical equidistant".  That's also referred to as a Plate Carree or a Lat/Lon
projection.  In your NetCDF file, please add the following as global attributes:

:Projection = "LatLon" ;
:lat_ll_deg = "-90.000000 degrees_north" ;
:lon_ll_deg = "0.000000 degrees_east" ;
:delta_lat_deg = "1.000000 degrees" ;
:delta_lon_deg = "1.000000 degrees" ;
:Nlat = "181 grid_points" ;
:Nlon = "360 grid_points" ;

Where you ...
   - Set "lat_ll_deg" and "lon_ll_deg" to define the lower-left corner of your grid.
   - Set "delta_lat_deg" and "delta_lon_deg" to define the change in lat/lon values.
   - Set "Nlat" and "Nlon" to define the grid dimensions.
Hopefully that'll do the trick and allow MET to read these files.

Second, your forecast and observation files appear to reside on different grids.  The forecast data, aladfr_euro, is on a grid of dimension 141x99.  The observation data, veraxx, is on a grid with of
dimension 166x136.  In order to compare these files in MET, you'll need to place the gridded data on a common grid.  Unfortunately, MET doesn't provide any utilities for regridding data.  It's the
user's responsibility to do this.  The "copygb" tool may be used to regrid GRIB files, but since you're using NetCDF, that won't help you.

Third, I used the ncview utility to look at the contents of the forecast and observation file you sent.  The data looks pretty garbled.  It appears that there may be an issue in how the data is
getting packed into this NetCDF file.

johnhg at ucar.edu