[Met_help] statistical significane tests for MODE output

Tressa Fowler tressa at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 28 15:34:50 MDT 2009

Jonathan,

This is kind of a hard question, but here's the simplest answer.

If you are comparing two models to each other on the same cases, then
you can do a student's t distribution confidence interval or
hypothesis test on the paired differences in areas (matched up by each
valid time). You can't actually do this in MET, but it should be
pretty easy to do even in a spreadsheet. Then your null hypothesis is
that the average difference in matched (or unmatched) area is zero. If
your 4% is significant, either you will reject your hypothesis or your
confidence interval will not include 0.

As for significance tests on the interest functions, we do not have
any methods for this. If we come up with something, it will take a
while.

Tressa