[Met_help] METv2 compilation abort with 32 option on 64 machine

Ana Cristina Carvalho ana.carvalho at ua.pt
Thu Aug 20 11:32:27 MDT 2009

Dear MET_help
after my first e-mail i get the help of a friend on this
compilation terrifying compilation world.
after some strugle in order to compile the required
libraries for the METv2.0 and METv2.0 on a 64 machine with
32 bit option we have made some succefull steps, but owe
are in the middle of the process with multiple
questions...

so, the linux is debian, the c and c++ are gnu, and
fortran compiler is pgi
for others that may experience the same problems, when
compiling with 32 bit options there are some stufs that
must be there concerning  gnu c and cc++, such as the g++
 multilib and the gcc dev and multilib.

In order to pgf compile with the 32 bit option, some
changes were needed,
namely, following what we have found
(http://www.pgroup.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?t=1214&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=5),
simply because the -tp=core2 option didn't work.

“Hi,

Can you please try edit /opt/pgi/linux86/7.1-6/localrc as
follow:

set DEFLIBDIR=/usr/lib32
set DEFSTDOBJDIR=/usr/lib32

and remove

set EXTRAASARGS=--32.”

for all compilations it was necessary to force the actual
path for the 32 bits versions (either gcc, g++ and
fortran)
in pgi compilares is somwhere under (in our case)

/opt/pgi/linux86/pgi_version/bin/

Concerning netcdf, we have installed version 3.6.3 with
the following env configuration (and it worked), following
part of recomendations on the pgi page.

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc

export CFLAGS="-m32"

export CPPFLAGS="-m32 -DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"

export CXX=/usr/bin/g++

export CXXFLAGS="-m32"

export F77=/opt/pgi/linux86/7.1-2/bin/pgf77

export F90=/opt/pgi/linux86/7.1-2/bin/pgf90

export FC=/opt/pgi/linux86/7.1-2/bin/pgf90

export FFLAGS="-O2 -w -V"

Concerning the cwordsh
we have set
  FC= /opt/pgi/linux86/7.1-2/bin/pgf77
and in order to obtain the executable it only have worked
this way (entering the name of the lib and not only the
path to the lib. We have also tried with the -L option and
it didn't work. May be we were making something wrong):
$FC -o cwordsh.x cwordsh.f
/home/anac/dir_BUFRLIB/libbufr.a

For METv2 compilation... abborted :-(

I am sending you the makefile and the make_met.log ...

some questions exists that may be a little bit hiden.
WRFV3 is compiled with the chem option active,  dm par
option active, with netcdf version4, everything in 64
bits. Is there any problem that may arise on this...

thank you so much for any help,
anac