[Met_help] point_stat

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Apr 29 07:52:40 MDT 2009

Mark,

I posted a fix for this issue.  Please retrieve the fix from the MET Known Issues page:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv2.0/index.php

I'd suggest following the instructions in the "All Recommended Updates" section.  There are now two bug fixes available and some minor updates to the user's guide, and doing it this way, you'll grab
all of the updates.

Feel free to write with any more questions or problems.

Mark Seefeldt wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks for the update.  Please pass around the fix when you have it
> completed.  The information you provided is valuable as it means that I
> can start processing the GRIB files for the complete evaluation.
>
> Mark
>
> John Halley Gotway wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> Thanks for sending the data.  I see what the problem is - there's a
>> bug in the library code that reads the valid time of the GRIB
>> forecast file.  It thinks it 2098 as opposed to 1998.  So Point-Stat
>> is looking for observation values that are in the time window
>> 20980430 +/- 5400 seconds.  And of course, it doesn't find any!
>>
>> I'm headed out for the day, but I'll put together a fix and send it
>> to you tomorrow.
>>
>> In the meantime, try using the "-valid_beg" and "-valid_end" command
>> line options to manually set the matching time window.  That should
>> get you non-zero matched pairs.
>>
>> Thanks for finding this issue!
>>
>> John
>>
>> Mark Seefeldt wrote:
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Thank you for all of the tips and suggestions which you have
>>> provided. I have worked through the different items and I am still
>>> not getting matched pairs when I should be.
>>>
>>> I have uploaded the following files to the anonymous ftp:
>>> phy_sheba-barrow-d01-199805.nc - nc observation file
>>> phy_sheba-barrow-d01-199805.txt - text observation file