[Met_help] Information about Spearmnn rank correlation

Tressa Fowler tressa at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 27 11:35:05 MDT 2009

Francesco,

Thank you for calling our attention to this error in our
documentation. The omission of the 1- piece is a typo.

However, it turns out that the actual formula used for the calculation
is not this one, as it fails to handle ties in the ranks. To handle
ties, we use the formula for the Pearson correlation, but with the
ranks as input rather than the raw data. The most accessible reference
for this is on Wikipedia ( we use the second formula listed ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spearman's_rank_correlation_coefficient

We will update the documentation to reflect the correct formula for
this statistic.

Thanks much,

Tressa