[Met_help] mode_analysis question

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Apr 27 08:58:24 MDT 2009

Jonathan,

Actually, the counts in those files have nothing to do with the matching that was performed by MODE.  The intent of the file is to give you an easy way of seeing what you'd get with a traditional
verification of the input fields as opposed to an object-based verification.  Let me point you to the first paragraph of section 6.3.3 of the MET User's Guide for a description of these lines.  Here's
some more detail based on the contents of the "FIELD" column.

FIELD Column...
(1) RAW: Apply any masking of bad data, grid masking, or polygon matching to the raw fields.  Threshold the raw fields using the "fcst_conv_thresh" and "obs_conv_thresh" config values to define 0/1
fields.  Compute the contingency table counts by comparing these 0/1 fields grid point by grid point.

(2) FILTER: Apply any masking of bad data, grid masking, or polygon matching to the raw fields.  In addition, apply the "fcst_raw_thresh" and "obs_raw_thresh" to filter out any additional values.
Then use the "fcst_conv_thresh" and "obs_conv_thresh" config values to define 0/1 fields, and compute a contingency table from them.

(3) OBJECT: Once objects have been defined in the forecast and observation fields, consider any grid point inside of an object to have a value of 1 and any grid point outside of an object to have a
value of 0.  Compute the contingency table counts by comparing these 0/1 fields grid point by grid point.

So really object matching has nothing to do with it.

Make sense?

John

For the RAW line: