[Met_help] stat_analysis VGRD question (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Apr 21 07:34:02 MDT 2009

Barb,

That's a pretty detailed set of questions!  I'm not sure I understand everything that's going on with UGRD/VGRD/UGRD_VGRD.  Based on your question and the UGRD/VGRD/UGRD_VGRD output lines in the
METv2.0 test scripts, I'm guessing that we're not setting the FCST_VAR and OBS_VAR columns the way we intend to.  I'll take a closer look at that.

In the meantime, here's a couple things you should know...

(1) When running Stat-Analysis with a configuration file, you can specify multiple values for "obs_var" by setting using commna-separated list.  However, when running a job on the command line, to use
multiple settings you just pass the "-obs_var" command line argument multiple times.  So in your case, "-obs_var VGRD -obs_var UGRD_VGRD" would have the desired effect ("-obs_var VGRD,UGRD_VGRD" won't
work).

This is mentioned in the comments of the Stat-Analysis configuration file...

//    Job command FILTERING options to further refine the STAT data:
//       Each optional argument may be used in the job specification multiple
//       times unless otherwise indicated. When multiple optional arguments of
//       the same type are indicated, the analysis will be performed over their
//       union:

(2) Yes, we know the output lines are very long!  But you should be able to configure your text editor to turn OFF word wrapping so that it all shows up on one long line - without having to open it
with Excel.

For example, I typically use the "kwrite" editor.  In kwrite, you turn off word wrapping in Settings->Configure Editor, and on the "Appearance" menu tab, I make sure that "Dynamic Word Wrap" is not
selected.  And in the "vim" editor, you can enter the command "set nowrap" to turn off word wrapping.  So you should be able to configure your editor to turn off word wrapping.

Also, if you'd like to use a spreadsheet on your Linux workstation, you may want to consider using OpenOffice.  It's very similar to Excel, is free, and would prevent you from having to FTP things around.

I'll look more closely at the UGRD/VGRD/UGRD_VGRD settings and let you know what I find.

John