[Met_help] question about the pcp_combine

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Apr 14 07:36:10 MDT 2009

Ming,

Yes, that's correct.  In MET, when comparing a gridded forecast field to a gridded observation or analysis field, it is your responsibility to first place the data on the same domain.  Generally, it's
advised to regrid the forecast data onto the grid of the observation data, but you're welcome to do whichever you like.

Stage IV precipitation data is available through NCEP-EMC in GRIB format.  Please check here: http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/ylin/pcpanl/stage4/
And look toward the bottom of the page for the section on "Where to get NCEP Stage IV".  I'm not sure if this is the same as CPC StageIV or not, but hopefully it'll meet your needs.

And we suggest using the "copygb" utility for regridding these GRIB files.  Copygb is one of the tools included in the WRF Post-Processor but may also be downloaded and built independently of WPP.

Hope that helps.

John Halley-Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu