[Met_help] PREPBUFR data

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Sep 17 11:00:36 MDT 2008

Mike,

To my knowledge, NCEP doesn't make an archive of PrepBufr data readily available.

However, I am aware of some PrepBufr data available via NCAR-CISL.  Try this website: http://search.dss.ucar.edu, and enter "prepbufr" in the search box.

There should be links to 3 datasets.  To access them, you'll need to register (which is free):

(1) NCEP ADP Global Upper Air and Surface (PREPBUFR format) Observations, daily, April 2008 - Continuing (ds337.0)
(2) NCEP ADP Eta/NAM Subset Surface Observations, daily, October 2000 - continuing (ds461.1)
(3) NCEP ADP Global Surface Observations, daily, April 2000 - continuing (ds461.0)

(1) contains GFS prepbufr data, and I tried downloading one and running it though PB2NC.  It worked fine.  The issue is that it's only archived back to 4/2008.
(2) and (3) contain BUFR (not prepbufr) data that doesn't appear to work well with PB2NC.  But these are archived back to 2000.

Please take a look to see if (1) would meet your needs.  If not, I could look into what it would take to get PB2NC to work on the datasets in (2) and (3).

I do know that NCEP does have this PrepBufr data sitting on their machines going back many, many years.  To my knowledge though, it's just not easily, publicly available prior to 4/2008.  However, I
could be wrong.  There may be additional data sources out there that I'm not aware of.

Regarding the timing info, the PrepBufr observations will be grouped into set chunks of data - hourly, 3-hourly, or 6-hourly.  You'll need to interrogate the files to figure out exactly what range of
observations times it contains.  I believe that all of the files from the same PrepBufr source will follow the same convention.  Please note that you can use the "-valid_beg" and "-valid_end" command
line options for PB2NC to explicitly define the range of observation times that you'd like retained in the output NetCDF file.