[Met_help] Observed winds for point-stat

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Oct 22 13:52:57 MDT 2008

Steve,

Since point observations are usually defined to be earth-relative rather than grid-relative, we set up MET to handle the rotation of winds from grid-to-earth relative.

When verifying U, V, or wind speed, MET reads in the components from a GRIB file and checks the GRIB file to see if the winds are defined to be grid-relative.  If they are, it rotates them to be earth
relative before comparing to the point observations in Point-Stat.

Therefore, the earth-relative point observation values should be used.

But there are those bugs in the rotation of winds that you uncovered in the METv1.1 code.  So make sure that you've updated your source code with the latest bug fixes prior to verifying winds.
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv1.1/index.php