[Met_help] MET Version 1.1

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Oct 13 14:46:26 MDT 2008

Kevin,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I was out of the office last Friday.

Fortunately, I think I can help on this issue.  The links listed below can also be found in the configuration file for the Point-Stat tool (METv1.1/data/config/PointStatConfig_default).

Regarding GRIB codes and units, the GRIB codes we're referring to are defined in the GRIB version 1 documentation:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/

Table 2 defines the codes and corresponding units:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html

For example, in this table, you'll find that temperature is defined as GRIB code 11 and should be in Kelvin.  Accumulated precip is GRIB code 61 and should be in millimeters.

As for Message_Type, you can refer to the following table:
http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/data_processing/prepbufr.doc/table_1.htm

The most commonly used ones are ADPUPA and ADPSFC for upper air and surface observations, respectively.

One thing to note though is how Point-Stat matches observations to forecasts at the surface.  Currently, it does so only using the message type.  And only those observations with message type ADPSFC
or SFCSHP will be matched to surface forecasts.  In this context, 2-meter temperature and 10-meter winds are considered "surface" forecasts.  So for example, a forecast of 2-m temperature will only be
matched to observations that have a message type of ADPSFC or SFCSHP.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to write with more questions.

Thanks,
John Halley-Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu