[Met_help] Point_stat problem reading wrf data?

Masters.Steve masters.steve at ensco.com
Fri Oct 10 12:00:25 MDT 2008

I am having some problems with point_stat as it reads a WRF dataset and
matches it up to the observed data.  I am using WRF 3.0.1 and MET 1.1
with (I hope) all of the relavent patches.  Both the WRF and MET codes
were compiled using the PGI compiler under a flavor of Red Hat Linux.  I
am using ascii2nc to convert my upper air data to netCDF format.  That
part of the process seems to work OK, and I can run point_stat and get
results.  When I look at the data, however, the WRF winds appear to be
incorrect.

I have created a simple case that illustrates the problem I am having.
I've wrapped up the files in a tar file a
ftp://ftp.ensco.com/gs/stevem/met-problem.tar.gz.  I've included a
12-hour forecast wrf file in grib format.  I created some "dummy" upper
air data in dummy.upa (converted to dummy.nc) that has just 200 hPa
winds at four points.  This way, we can be sure of the match that we
get.  I've also included a brief GrADS script that pulls out its
estimate of the winds at these locations.  The point_stat configuration
file and run script are also included.  In the output directory is the
result of running the point_stat command.

If you look at *mpr.txt file, you can easily see the dummy observations
and their correct values.  However, if you look at the forecast data,
and compare it to data pulled from the WRF file with grads, it seem
clear that the data coming out of MET is incorrect.  There is a high
negative v component, and the actual winds at this level are very nearly
zonal (as can be seen from the 200 hPa height plot).  It does not seem
to be a rotation problem, as the magnitudes from MET and grads seem
substantially different.

I don't know if I am missing some important processing step or have
mis-coded a parameter here.  I tried several different interpolation
methods and all gave similar results.

Steve Masters   masters.steve at ensco.com
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the use of the individuals to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and sensitive. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately by email at the above referenced address. Thank you.