[Met_help] license problem

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:03:54 MST 2008

Brain,

My name is John Halley-Gotway.  I work with Lacey, and I'm one of the developers working on MET.  I wanted to ask for a point of clarification on this issue you raised.

Are you under the impression that we're bundling GSL up with our code and redistributing GSL?  Because that is actually not the case.

We distribute a tarball for MET containing only the MET-specific source code.  MET relies on 4 main external libraries - GSL, F2C, NetCDF, and one called BUFRLIB.  We don't redistribute the code for
these libraries, but rather, instruct users how to acquire them prior to building MET.

Since we're not actually distributing the GSL code itself, is compliance with the GPL still an issue?  Or is it the case that, since we're making calls to GSL routines, we need to be compliant with
the GPL?  Please let me know if it's the latter, and I'll forward the "MET Terms of Use" and the GPL to our legal adviser and ask her to address this issue.