[Met_help] Re: Applying grid_stat to custom fields

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Jun 23 10:37:53 MDT 2008

Jan,

Let me address a few of the points you mentioned.

Regarding the lat/lon values included in the NetCDF files.  MET does not actually use those lat/lon fields at all.  We included them in the test data files for easy plotting with NcView.  So you may
omit them in your data - which for large datesets will save some significant space.  Instead, MET reads the grid definition parameters in the attributes section.  It instantiates the grid defined by
those parameters and uses the grid to do a lot of conversions: lat/lon to grid x/y and vice versa.  Unfortunately, there's no easy way to read a field of lat/lon's and "recover" the grid definition
parameters from them.  So unless we discover a slick way to do that, we'll continue to need them specified in the attributes.

I've been talking to the WRF-ARW folks, and for the release following METv1.1, we'll likely be adding support for the NetCDF output of ARW-Post.  At that point, we'll try to generalize the NetCDF
support to include a variety of flavors of NetCDF.

For METv1.1, we have required the GRIB code abbreviations to be used for the names of the fields simply for convenience.  It didn't break the existing logic for specifying which fields to verify based
on grib codes, and it determined the units for the data.  In our plans for the next release, we'll try to revise that requirement and make the list of required elements for NetCDF as short as
possible, as you suggested.

As for what those grid definition parameters mean, let me first point you to a whole page of examples: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/tableb.html
These are predefined grids from NCEP.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you'll see several examples of these types of specifications.  The grid specification parameters differ depending on
the projection type: lat/lon, lambert conformal, or polar stereographic.

Here's an excerpt from the file where the Lambert Conformal data structure is defined (METv1.0/lib/vx_data_grids/grid_base.h):
struct LambertData {

    char *name;         //identifier

    double p1_deg;      // first latitude where cone intersects earth.
    double p2_deg;      // second latitude where cone intersects earth.

    double p0_deg;      // latitude of lower left (southwest most) gridpoint
    double l0_deg;      // longitude of lower left (southwest most) gridpoint

    double lcen_deg;    // longitude that looks vertical on the grid.

    double d_km;        // "resolution" of grid in km.
    double r_km;        // Radius of sphere.

    int nx;             // number of x gridpoints.
    int ny;             // number of y gridpoints.
};

Reading the comments, you can see a description for what each parameter defines.

Hope that helps.  And thanks for all of your feedback and suggestions.  We really appreciate it.  With each release, we hope to make MET a more general and useful set of tools.