[Met_help] Several questions about MET

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Jun 18 11:03:31 MDT 2008

Jan,

Let me answer your second question first.

It's fine to use data on any grid with MET - even a user defined grid - so long as it's a lat/lon, lambert conformal, or polar stereographic projection.  We require you to specify a masking region(s)
to define the area of which you'd like to accumulate statistics.  Often users like to look how the statistics vary in different regions of the domain.  If you'd like to score over the entire domain,
then yes, your polygon idea is what I'd suggest.  And no, you do not need to trace the domain.  I'd suggest choosing 4 lat/lon corner points which fully enclose your domain.  They don't have to be the
exact corner points - they could be further out than that.  Perhaps in future releases, we should support a special entry for the "mask_grids" configuration item that would instruct Grid-Stat to score
over the entire domain, rather than having to mess with defining a polyline as I described above.

Regarding your first question, I would say that no, this probably doesn't have to do with GSL being compiled with GNU, as opposed to PGI.  That may or may not be a problem down the road.  I haven't
tried it.

Could you do me a favor and send me those two files:
/path/to/METv1.0/out/pcp_combine/sample_fcst_12L_2005080712V_12A.nc
/path/to/METv1.0/out/pcp_combine/sample_obs_2005080712V_12A.nc

I'll try to figure out where that error message is coming from.

Thanks,
John Halley-Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu