[Met_help] grid_stat netcdf files

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Jul 29 16:53:40 MDT 2008

Luke,

I added some print statements to the Grid-Stat tool, and I'm just not seeing the discrepancy you're seeing.  For example, in the output below I've listed the values for the grid point (42, 113).  The
RAW line says the value when it's first read into Grid-Stat.  The IN line says the smoothed value.  And the OUT line says the value that written out to the NetCDF pairs file.

As you can see, every time that grid point is read for the various variables and levels in your config file, the value stays the same from input through smoothing and to the output.

It occurred to me that perhaps it has something to do with how the winds are defined.  In MET, if the winds are defined as grid-relative, then they're rotated to be earth-relative.  MET only does this
if the GRIB resolution flag indicates that the winds are grid-relative.  But in the file you sent me, they are not grid-relative, they're already earth-relative.

Is there anything else you think I should check?

John

JHG:RAW (42, 113) = -5.30005
JHG:IN (42, 113) = -5.30005
JHG:OUT (42, 113) = -5.30005