[Met_help] Sharing a comment

David Novak david.novak at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 15 07:52:32 MDT 2008

Hello,

First, I wanted to commend the group for the development of MET. It will
be a tremendous resource. However, I wanted to share a general comment
from one of our Science and Operations Officers regarding MET use in NWS
Weather Forecast Offices (WFOs):

"While this package has potential, it does not run on the forms of Linux
commonly used in WFOs or WFO systems that run the WRF.  It runs in
Debian Linux which is old, and meets none of todays security protocols,
not the Enterprise Redhat Linux we use.   This package also requires
alot of configuration and compiling .  Numerous libraries, Fortran
compilers and the like must be obtained, linked and installed.   These
may not be present on most Linux machines"

It sounds like there are two requests:
    -compiling for Enterprise Redhat Linux
    -more user-friendly installation/configuration process

I'm not sure if version 1.1 addresses these concerns, but perhaps these
issues can be considered in future development.

Thanks,
David Novak
NWS Eastern Region Headquarters
Scientific Services Division