[Met_help] MET questions

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Jan 24 12:49:03 MST 2008

Cory,

I figured out the issue in the computation of the Spearman's Correlation Coefficient.  While your netCDF observation file (nz_metar_08012118_TTTTT.nc) contains 130 observations, only 84 of them
contain valid data.  And to put it concisely, in computing Spearman's, Point-Stat was using the wrong count value (84 instead of 130).  The fix is just to skip past any observations which contain bad
data values.  So the matched pairs used in computing stats should now always consist of a "valid" forecast value and a "valid" observation value.

I had not anticipated that someone might submit a bad data value for the observation.

I posted a short explanation and fix on the known issues page of the MET website.  Please access it there:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv1.0/METv1.0_known_issues.php

Thanks for pointing out the problem.  It really helps us a lot.

And please let us know if any more questions come up.

John