[Met_help] Re: MET FEEDBACK from Dan Schaffer (fwd)

Daniel Schaffer Daniel.S.Schaffer at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 9 09:30:15 MST 2008

Thanks for your quick response John.

> 4. It should actually be pretty easy to run MET on variables other than
> precip.  That was our goal in using configuration files.  Take a look in
> the MET User's Guide for a discussion of how to edit the configuration
> files for each tool to run it on whatever field(s) are in your input Grib
> files.
>
> Point_Stat: See section 4.3.2 of the MET User's Guide and look at the
> vx_grib_code parameter.
> Grid_Stat: See section 5.3.2 of the MET User's Guide and look at the
> vx_grib_code parameter.
> MODE: See section 6.3.2 of the MET User's Guide and look at the
> fcst_grib_code and obs_grib_code parameters.
I did take advantage of these configurable parameters (although since it appeared that my particular field, Vertically Integrated Liquid as a representation of convection does not appear to be one of the GRIB codes, I had to add a grib code).

However, what was more concerning is that the code calls read_pcp_combine_netcdf.cc which appears to hard-wire in the fact that the variable in the netcdf file must be called "precip" and that there must be an "accum_time" attribute.  Is there something I'm still missing here?

All that said, I'm really in good shape right now so these are more of academic questions/observations that you may want to think about for MET 2.0.

Dan