[Met_help] Re: Results of beta-test METv1.1

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Feb 14 11:49:23 MST 2008

Victor and Lorena,

Thanks for sending some of your data.  I was able to run Point-Stat with it and reproduce the spurious results you were seeing.

Based on that, I did find a bug in the routine that's computing the confidence intervals for the Contingency Table Statistics (i.e. CTS line).  I had placed two parentheses in the wrong position.  So
unfortunately, that bug is producing these bad results.  After I fixed it, the confidence intervals look a lot more reasonable.  I also recomputed the confidence interval using an online calculator
and got the exact same answer.  So I'm confident that they're being computed correctly now.

I can't thank you enough for letting me know about this bug.  I've posted a fix for METv1.0 to the known issues page of the MET website.  The same fix will work on the METv1.1beta version you have.

On the known issues page (http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv1.0/METv1.0_known_issues.php), please see the fix titled:
"Error in the confidence interval values computed for the CTS output line from Point-Stat and Grid-Stat"
Then you'll need to update your version of the file "compute_ci.cc" and rebuild.

For your information, we're using the Wilson Method for computing the confidence intervals in the CTS line.  Here's info on the Wilson Method:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_proportion_confidence_interval

The equations listed under the "Wilson score interval" section of this page match what we're using.

Thanks again.  And please let me know if you run into any more problems or encounter questionable results.

John