[Met_help] Different architectures

Lacey Holland lholland at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 11 15:08:14 MST 2008

Hi, Steve!

The GNU "gfortran" compiler you mentioned should work just fine for
compiling MET.  However, you'll need a GNU C++ compiler.  Look for
either "gCC" or "g++".  Either of those should work fine as C++
compilers.  The "gcc" you mentioned is for C (a subtle and confusing
difference.  :p )

We've had a few other people use MET on 64-bit machines.  With the
exception of pb2nc, which uses NCO's BUFR library, the other modules
should compile.  I'd suggest just commenting out the line in the
Makefile where pb2nc is compiled:

under "targets:", comment out line 192:
# @ cd $(PB2NC);       make CPP_COMPILER=$(CPP_COMPILER)
F77_COMPILER=$(F77_COMPILER) FLAGS="$(FLAGS)" PGI_LIBS="$(PGI_LIBS
)" --no-print-directory

Also, I wouldn't bother installing the BUFR lib that's described in the
README and other documentation.  pb2nc is the only module that links to
it, and it doesn't compile on 64-bit machines, causing pb2nc to fail.
By commenting out the one line above, though, you should be fine for
compiling MET.

If you run into problems, I'll be visiting Steve Vasiloff and Steve
Weiss at the SPC Wednesday/Thursday, so I can maybe help in person. Or,
you can always just email met_help again.

Take care,
--Lacey Holland