[Met_help] known problem but not solution for pb2nc on a 64-bit machine (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Dec 17 14:27:17 MST 2008

Barbara,

I'm glad we're making progress.

The 64-bit issue is actually within the BUFRLIB to which MET links, not the PB2NC tool itself.  That error message is coming from BUFRLIB, which is developed and maintained by NCEP.  And we've been in
touch with them regarding this issue, but haven't made much progress.

However, if you were able to build MET using the 32-bit compilation options, we should still be able to make it work.  There's a tool call the "cwordsh" tool which blocks and unblocks PREPBUFR files.
 I'll try not to go into too much detail here, but basically FORTRAN-blocking on a file is a rather machine-dependent thing.  The sample PREPBUFR files we distributed with METv1.1 were already
FORTRAN-blocked on a machine here.  So if we use the "cwordsh" tool to unblock them on your system and then reblock them, hopefully PB2NC will run fine.

These pages of the MET online tutorial discuss FORTRAN-blocking and how you'd acquire and run the cwordsh tool:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/compilation/rec_software.php
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/pb2nc/index.php

If you're able, please try unblocking and reblocking the sample PREPBUFR observation files in the METv1.1/data/sample_obs/prepbufr directory.  And then re-run PB2NC to see if that did the trick.

We realize that running the "cwordsh" tool is a rather tedious step.  So for the next version of MET in February 2009, we have modified the PB2NC tool to do the FORTRAN blocking itself.  So hopefully
you won't need to run the "cwordsh" tool when using METv2.0.

Thanks and please let me know how it goes.

John