[Met_help] known problem but not solution for pb2nc on a 64-bit machine (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sauter, Barbara (Civ, ARL/CISD) bsauter at arl.army.mil
Wed Dec 17 13:57:10 MST 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It's me again.  I understand Bob Flanigan used the suggestions you
provided and he was able to successfully compile pb2nc and the
point_stat tool on my 64-bit system, specifying 32-bit options.  I ran
point_stat using the netcdf output you provided for me, and I was very
excited to finally have that working.

However, when I tried to run pb2nc myself I got the exact same error
message that I had received before:

     ERROR READING INPUT FILE CONNECTED TO UNIT 11 WHEN CHECKING FOR
'BUFR' IN FIRST 4 BYTES OF RECORD

Bob Flanigan is on vacation until January 5, and as you may have figured
out I'm not a computer person, so I don't expect any more assistance for
the time being, but I wanted to let you know that your efforts have
produced some progress for us but not a total solution yet.  Is there a
plan to rewrite pb2nc to work more seamlessly on 64-bit systems?

Thanks for your help.  Have a Merry Christmas and Happy 2009.

Barb Sauter, meteorologist
US Army Research Laboratory
White Sands Missile Range, NM
(575) 678-2840