[Met_help] MET installation

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Dec 15 10:30:13 MST 2008

Mark,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this.

Thanks for sending the Makefile and the file make.log.  I agree with you that the linker is having problems finding things in the NetCDF library.  And I'll be happy to try to help you debug this issue.

Can you please check a few things:
- Can you tell me what version of the PGI compilers you're using?  Just type "pgCC --version" for the version number.
- Does the file /home/seefeldm/netcdf/3.6.3/lib/libnetcdf.a exist on your machine?
- Does the file /home/seefeldm/netcdf/3.6.3/lib/libnetcdf_c++.a exist on your machine?
- Now take a look in /usr/local/lib.  Do the files libnetcdf.a and libnetcdf_c++.a exist in there too?  I'm wondering if the linker is trying to link to the wrong version of NetCDF.

If the files /home/seefeldm/netcdf/3.6.3/lib/libnetcdf.a and /home/seefeldm/netcdf/3.6.3/lib/libnetcdf_c++.a do exist, then please do the following:
In the top-level Makefile, add the "-m" flag to the line for CXX_FLAGS.  Do a "make clean" and then a "make >& make_met.log".
The "-m" flag tells the linker to dump out information about where it finds definitions for functions.  And please send me a copy of your "Makefile" and "make_met.log" file.

One other thing - you haven't encountered this problem yet, but I think you'll need to change slightly how "GSL_INCS" is set.
Here's how you have it set now: GSL_INCS = -I$(GSL_BASE)/include/gsl
But I think you're going to need to remove the "gsl" at the end there.  So it should be set as: GSL_INCS = -I$(GSL_BASE)/include

And I see your other MET-Help email.  I'll answer that later this morning.

johnhg at ucar.edu