[Met_help] Re: Met_help

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:59:57 MDT 2008

James,

I just got back from vacation today and wanted to follow up to see if you have any remaining or follow-up questions regarding use of MET.

I saw that you were able to resolve the compilations problems you were encountering.  Please do send along a copy of the Makefile you used for compiling MET with PGI on RedHat.  It may be useful in
helping other users debug similar types of compilation issues in the future.

And let me add a couple more comments to the suggestions that Randy and Barb already made.

Regarding question 1, I would do what Randy recommended - just provide MODE with the same file for the forecast and observation fields.  In addition though, in the configuration file you could turn
OFF matching and merging by setting the "fcst_merge_flag", "obs_merge_flag", and "match_flag" all to zero.  That will disable all of the matching/merging calculations and enable MODE to run faster.
You will see a warning message reminding you that you've disabled matching, but you can just ignore that.

Regarding question 2, just follow Randy's directions.  The sample files that are generated in the test scripts provide a good template.  MODE is looking for NetCDF variables named using the GRIB code
abbreviations for the GRIB code requested in the configuration file.  For example, if in the config file, you specify GRIB code 61 for accumulated precip, MODE will look for a variable named APCP in
the NetCDF file.  Or if you request GRIB code 11 in the configuration file, MODE will look for a NetCDF variable named TMP, which is the corresponding abbreviation.

The GRIB codes and their corresponding abbreviations may be found here: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html

Good luck and don't hesitate to write with more questions.