[Met_help] MET Point_Stat

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Sep 6 10:09:39 MDT 2007

Luke,

There is nothing that would prevent you from running MET over a non-CONUS domain.  In fact, the list of people who have downloaded MET include individuals from Portugal, Spain, the UK, China, Korea,
and Romania.

However, you're correct in anticipating issues with data formats.  In the current version of MET, the GRIDDED forecast and observation datasets (used by grid_stat, mode, and point_stat) must be in
Grib1 format.  We recommend running the WRF Postprocessor to de-stagger the model grid and write the output in Grib1.  The POINT-BASED observation datasets (used by point_stat) must be in PrepBufr
format, available from NCEP.  While PrepBufr does include some observations from around the world, it does not include everything.  We do realize this is a limitation, and in future releases, plan to
support a more generic ascii observation format.

If there are specific observation formats and datasets you'd like us to consider supporting directly, please let us know.  The MET Website contains a feedback form:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/feedback.php

When you submit a comment or suggestion via that form, it will be automatically distributed to the MET development team.

Let us know if you run into any problems trying to compile and run MET.

johnhg at ucar.edu