[Met_help] getting MET stats for wind speed

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Dec 5 12:43:39 MST 2007

Brain,

Good question... and a rather timely one.

The answer is no.  There is currently no way of verifying wind speed and direction with MET.

However, I'm working to include support for verification of some derived quantities in the next release of MET at the end of the month.

The WRF postprocessor doesn't currently dump out wind speed and direction - just U and V.  We're hoping to add capability for grid_stat and point_stat to derive wind speed and direction from U and V.
 Also, we'll add that derivation in pb2nc to derive wind speed and direction for the observations.  From a user perspective, you should just need to modify your config files to indicate that you'd
like to verify wind speed and direction.

Let me mention an issue regarding winds that's come up in the last couple of days.  Apparently, the WRF postprocessor is dumping out winds that are defined relative to the grid.  The point
observations in the prepbufr files contain winds that are earth relative.  Currently, MET is not accounting for this difference.  Within the DTC we're discussing how to address this - likely through
changes to the postprocessor or changes to MET.

Does that help?

John