[ISP] ISP computer time request: Due Jan 2

Roy Rasmussen rasmus at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 15 09:30:14 MST 2009

ISP computer users,

CISL has notified us that we need to make our annual request for GAUs by
January 14th.  In previous years the request was from TIIMES alone.
Since ISP is a combination of TIIMES and  ISSE staff, our request will
be augmented this year to include computer users from ISSE.  As most of
you are aware, there are two types of GAUs: regular and joint.  The
regular GAUs are for the use of projects that are primarily NCAR led.
Joint GAUs are for projects which have a significant university
involvement. There is an advantage to joint GAUs in that they are on a
12 month  basis in contrast to regular GAUs which are on a monthly basis
(use them or lose them). If you would like to request GAUs for 2010,
please provide the following information by January 2 to Terri and I:

1. Project name,

2. PI and users,

3. Brief justification for request (paragraph)

4. Monthly regular GAU request

5. Annual joint GAU request (indicate the University involved)

6. Link to the NCAR strategic plan (see attached PDF, indicate section
number).

Don’t forget to include mass store GAUs in your estimate.  This is
typically 15% of your total request.  We have been informed not to
expect a change to the total GAU allocation from last year, so if you
need an increase you will need to have a strong justification.  I have
included our previous TIIMES request for your information and the actual
allocation.  Former TIIMES users can use this as a starting point and
first estimate of their GAU needs.  I would like to request that you
format your request in the same format as last year (see the attached
request from last year for an example).  In addition to the information
provided last year, CISL has asked that you identify which item in the
NCAR strategic plan that your request relates to.  I have also attached
a summary of the NCAR strategic plan to help you do this.  Please
include this in your request. The new allocation will go into effect on
April 1, 2010 and continue for 12 months until March 31, 2011.

As mentioned above, please provide your request to Terri and I by
January 2. We will then put the final request together and send to CISL.
  Please contact us if you have any questions.

Regards,

Roy and Terri