[Grad-postdoc-assn] Fwd: ATOC Colloquium: Friday, October 27 @ 11am MT – Emily Wein, Giovanni Seijo, Brandon Molina – SEEC S228 and Zoom

Scott Briggs sbriggs at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 23 08:11:01 MDT 2023

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Andrew Winters <andrew.c.winters at colorado.edu>
Date: Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 8:09 AM
Subject: ATOC Colloquium: Friday, October 27 @ 11am MT – Emily Wein,
Giovanni Seijo, Brandon Molina – SEEC S228 and Zoom
To: ATOC Faculty <atoc-faculty at colorado.edu>, atoc-majors at colorado.edu <
atoc-majors at colorado.edu>, atoc-minors at colorado.edu <
atoc-minors at colorado.edu>, ATOC Graduate Students <
atoc-students at colorado.edu>, ATOC Researchers <atoc-researchers at colorado.edu>,
atoc-colloquium at colorado.edu <atoc-colloquium at colorado.edu>

Hi everyone,

The next ATOC Colloquium will be held in a hybrid format on *Friday,
October 27 from 11a–12p MT over Zoom and in SEEC S228. *This week's
colloquium will feature a trio of talks from ATOC graduate students, *Emily
Wein, Giovanni Seijo, and Brandon Molina. *The zoom login information and
abstracts for each talk are provided below. Please join us for conversation
beginning at 10:45am MT, and stay afterwards for a lunch catered by Illegal
Pete's.
We look forward to seeing you on Friday!

-The ATOC Colloquium Committee

*Developing a Water Vapor Spectrometer for Measurements of Atmospheric
Water Vapor and Future Applications of this Technology*
Emily Wein (ATOC)

Water vapor is an immensely important atmospheric constituent but difficult
to measure within the atmosphere due to its highly varied sources, sinks
and transport over space and time. In light of this, a newly developed
water vapor sensor based on laser spectroscopy is presented here. It
combines recent developments in microcontroller technology and low power
laser diodes into an instrument that does not suffer in reduced sensitivity
or accuracy while being portable and is low cost.

*A CESM/MOM6 Regional Configuration of the Caribbean Sea *
Giovanni Seijo (ATOC)

The Modular Ocean Model 6 (MOM6) is the new ocean component for the
Community Earth System Model (CESM) which allows for regional ocean
configurations and opens the door to new avenues of research within the
CESM framework. For example, we have developed a 1/12 degree configuration
of the Caribbean Sea to study present and future drivers of salinity in the
Caribbean Sea. In this presentation, I will first give a quick overview on
creating your own regional configuration. The second part will show
preliminary results from our Caribbean Sea configuration.

*Changes in the Mean State of the Tropical Pacific can Influence the
Oscillatory Behavior of El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) *
Brandon Molina (ATOC)

ENSO — the recurring large-scale climate phenomenon that originates in the
tropical Pacific — is expected to change due to global warming. Model
predictions are starting to converge regarding a future increase in the
overall levels of variability; however, very little is known regarding
changes in the temporal evolution of ENSO. In this talk, I present some
results from my first research project of my PhD in which I address this
issue by comparing the consistency of the sea-surface temperature (SST)
 phase transitions and the coupling between the thermocline depth and SSTs
from simulations performed with CESM1 of colder/warmer climates from today.
This way, I can investigate how changes in the mean state affect the
periodicity of ENSO through the dynamics of the delayed thermocline
feedback. I find that the thermocline-SST coupling increases under warmer
climate conditions and decreases under colder conditions. Our results
suggest that as ENSO dynamics becomes more oscillatory, the predictability
of El Niño and La Niña events will increase, offering an avenue for
mitigating its increasing climatic impacts.

*Zoom login Information:*

*Topic: ATOC Colloquium*
*Time: Oct 27, 2023 11:00 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada)*

*https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/98582201579
<https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/98582201579>*
*Meeting ID: 985 8220 1579*
*Passcode: ATOC*

One tap mobile
+17193594580,,98582201579# US
+12532158782,,98582201579# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
• +1 719 359 4580 US
• +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
• +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
• +1 669 444 9171 US
• +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
• +1 253 205 0468 US
• +1 564 217 2000 US
• +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
• +1 646 931 3860 US
• +1 689 278 1000 US
• +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
• +1 305 224 1968 US
• +1 309 205 3325 US
• +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
• +1 360 209 5623 US
• +1 386 347 5053 US
• +1 507 473 4847 US

Join by SIP
• 98582201579 at zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323
• 162.255.37.11 (US West)
• 162.255.36.11 (US East)
• 115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)
• 115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)
• 213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
• 213.244.140.110 (Germany)
• 103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)
• 103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)
• 149.137.40.110 (Singapore)
• 64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
• 149.137.68.253 (Mexico)
• 69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)
• 65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)
• 207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo)
• 149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka)

Meeting ID: 985 8220 1579
Passcode: 166543

*Andrew C. Winters*
Assistant Professor
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (ATOC)
University of Colorado Boulder
311 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309-0311
Phone: 303-735-5775
https://acwinters.weebly.com
<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Facwinters.weebly.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7Catoc-colloquium%40colorado.edu%7Cac54185293cd43c98b5408dbd3d18805%7C3ded8b1b070d462982e4c0b019f46057%7C1%7C0%7C638336669327790348%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=YdyDNTbpoqnIrlkxMITP5TfBveKYP0FxomnaROWWg2A%3D&reserved=0>
@acwinters_wx || he/him/his

*CU Boulder acknowledges that it is located on the traditional territories
and ancestral homelands of the Cheyenne, Arapaho, Ute and many other Native
American nations. Their forced removal from these territories has caused
devastating and lasting impacts. Full CU Boulder land acknowledgment
<https://www.colorado.edu/about/land-acknowledgement> *